No-code platform: create your MVP with Adalo
Table of Contents
A no-code platform refers to a particular software development approach that allows anyone to create applications without knowing any programming language. Therefore, these tools and platforms allow people who are not skilled in the programming field to intuitively create the programs they need for their business or hobby.
Adalo is probably the most popular no-code platform that allows you to create apps without writing code. Its goal is to offer a platform to design and host websites and applications that includes databases, workflow actions, and integrations.
If you want to learn more on Adalo, its features, and how it works, keep reading this article!
What is Adalo: the no-code platform for beginners
Adalo was named after Ada Lovelace, a London mathematician who is considered the first programmer in history. She developed the first algorithm expressly intended to be processed by a machine, foresaw the role of the modern computer, and laid the foundation for modern computing.
The Adalo’s team intends to carry on her innovative spirit and introduce a new era in which anyone can create computer programs thanks to their no-code platform and solve problems once deemed impossible.
In fact, the skill of coding prevents billions of people from bringing their ideas to life (only 0.3% of people can code today), but anyone should be able to create an app regardless of their technical expertise.
Adalo’s main features
All design components of this no-code platform are integrated with a database that allows you to structure user interaction with your app and also to enter external data via API.
To create your app, Adalo makes available the following features:
- Components: the constituent elements of the Adalo’s interface.
- Actions: used to specify the logic present within your app and then specify what happens when you click on a particular component.
- Database: like an Excel spreadsheet, the database allows you to enter data to be displayed to app users or to collect the data they enter into the app.
Let’s see them in more detail below.
Adalo keeps adding more components to make the no-code platform the most comprehensive ever. In fact, until now there are 25 components you can choose from and they include anything you could think of, such as:
- Lists: simple lists, card lists, image grids, etc.
- Payments: the Stripe integration allows to add payments.
- Forms: inputs, number fields, drop-downs, calendars, etc.
- Charts: you can create dynamic dashboards by inserting user data that will then auto-update.
- Navigation: the navigation bars have customizable icons.
- Buttons, Texts & More: rectangles, icons, images, buttons, texts, etc.
Actions are what brings your project to life because they allow users to get around and create new things. Some examples of the dynamic actions that you can find on the no-code platform are:
- Link Pages: you can connect more screens together with customizable animations.
- Push Notifications: you can select to send notifications to specific users.
- Login & Permissions: you can select the user authentication.
- Create & Update Data: if users click a button, that action will be recorded in your database.
- Native Device Actions: access to users’ camera, photo library, etc.
The database is what makes your project real, instead of just a prototype. In fact, it allows you to:
- Create Collections: you can structure the database with simple spreadsheets.
- Set Relationships: you can connect different objects together by setting their relationships.
- Manage User Data: you can keep track of the data of your users.
- Custom Formulas: you can use custom formulas from simple math to complex equations.
- Connect Your Apps: you can have multiple apps connected together with one shared database.
- API Integration: you can use Adalo as your front-end if you already have an existing API.
Adalo: tutorial of the no-code platform
Now it is time to get into practice! We want to show you how to get started with this amazing no-code platform and how to create outstanding apps, websites or MVPs in just a few minutes.
First of all, click on the button “Get started for free” and type your email, password, and full name to register on the platform. Then, you can choose if you want to create a native mobile app or a desktop web app, select the template, give a name to your app, and insert your primary and secondary colours.
At this point, you will land on a dashboard with a menu on the left. If you click on the “+” button, you can immediately start to add components or screens to your app.
Let’s see the other options:
- Branding: here you can change the colours that you previously selected or add more colours, and you can also choose fonts.
- Screens: here you can create the most important screens, such as home, login, signup, and welcome. Once you select one, you will be able to add components, actions, and available data.
- Database: here you can add collections, change permissions, and view/edit records.
- Settings: here you can change the app name, add a short description and an app icon.
- Publish: here you can add a custom domain.
- Analytics: here you can view some basic data about your users.
In the upper menu of the no-code platform, instead, you will find the name of your app. By clicking on it, you can choose to start creating a new app. Next to it, there is the “Preview” button, that allows you to check how your app will look like, and the “Share” button to share the project with other people and receive feedbacks.
You will also notice that on the right of the upper menu there is your account icon. By clicking on it, you can change settings, get help and documentation, and sign out. From the “Settings” section, you can go to:
- Profile: here you can edit your email, name, and password.
- Team & Billing: here you can create a team by adding emails and giving a name to the team, but you can also change your subscription plan.
- Domains: here you can edit the Adalo subdomain or add a custom domain.
Adalo: free resources of the no-code platform
Are you ready now to create your app with this no-code platform? Or do you still have doubts? Don’t worry, Adalo got you covered! In fact, it offers many different free resources to learn more about the platform itself and how to use it to obtain incredible results.
Here is a list of what you will find:
- Video tutorials
- Roadmap and feature ideas
- Help documents
- Consultations with experts
If you just want to explore the no-code platform and get a taste of how it works, we recommend trying the free plan. It is a limited plan, but you will still be able to create your project without particular problems.
Instead, if you want to have access to all the features, you can choose between 2 subscription plans:
- Pro: it costs $50 per month and it is perfect if you are launching the first version of your app.
- Business: it costs $200 per month and it is perfect if you want your team to grow, iterate, and scale your app.
Regardless the type of plan you choose, you can always add more storage or more seats.
Conclusions on the Adalo’s no-code platform
The purpose of this article was to give you an overview of the Adalo’s no-code platform and explain its functioning in the easiest way. However, if you want to learn more, you can give a look at the free resources mentioned above and at the YouTube channel.
If you want to find out other tools, please also read “No-code platforms to build your MVP successfully”.